Special Features of the University
The University has an Information and Communications Technology Centre that is equipped to a world class standard. The Centre has the capacity to engage over 1,000 students that could be working on various key projects simultaneously. The Centre also has facility that possesses a web based programme that monitors students' registration process to check student's course registration and performance.
Importantly too, lecturers have also been trained to enter raw scores and tests and semester examination results directly on internet based platforms. In sum, the software application now allows the University to compute and fill data about staff/students profiles, results and time-table/calendar, in addition to incorporating billing and payroll systems through which the University can monitor payment of school fees.
The students now register their courses on-line, access their results and hostel accommodation space on-line, thus reducing the stress that were part of the traditional registration and school fees payment in the past.
The University's ICT Centre has over 450 computer units with a standby 100KVA alternative power supply. The University has since the last academic session introduced and is currently operating e-exams in the conduct of aptitude tests for candidates seeking admission into the University after the normal University Matriculation Examination. This has been applauded by the Public, Jamb, and the National universities Commission, which are major stakeholders in the Education Sector in the country.
Facilities in the school, particularly in the Laboratories and Workshops are first class and could be compared with any in any standard institution.
The University has since its establishment in 1980, graduated more than 30 thousand people who now occupy prominent positions in society. It is the only University in Nigeria that offers first degree courses in Marine Engineering; and Secretarial Administration. The University has an e-library that can be assessed anywhere in the world. It is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
RSUST Alumni Association has a membership of more than six thousand registered members world-wide. They have branches in many states of the Federation, in the USA and UK. The current National President is Elder (Dr.) Hyke Ochia.
Modest Landmark Achievements recorded by the Present Administration
Prior to the appointment of the incumbent Vice-Chancellor, Prof. BB Fakae on 14th November, 2007, the University had deteriorated infrastructurally and academically. But through the financial support given to the University by Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi, Prof. Fakae was able to uplift the University to its present world-class standard within the short period of his appointment.
Mindful of the developmental needs of the institution the Vice-Chancellor embarked on a plethora of laudable projects which have impacted positively on the University. These include;
- Renovation and equipment of all classrooms, workshops, offices, laboratories and libraries.
- The construction of a new Science Demonstration Laboratory for the Faculty of Technical and Science Education.
- Construction of a workshop for the Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre, newly established in the University.
- Completion of a modern library building for the Faculty of Agriculture.
- The construction of a Vice-Chancellor's lodge which did not exist prior to this time. The Vice-Chancellor's office is also renovated, well furnished, and equipped with modern facilities.
- By the programme accreditation exercise carried out by the National Universities Commission recently, the University has full accreditation for almost all its academic programmes.
- The development of an ICT Centre with over 450 computers which ranks among the best in the country. The success recorded in this area is overwhelming and admirable. This has turned the University to its premier status as the first Technological University in Nigeria.
- The University is now chosen by the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure as one of the tertiary institutions in the Niger Delta as a Centre for the development of Advanced Manufacturing Technology in the region.
- The University also has an operational license to operate a radio station. The station will go into full operation soon. This will boost the training of Mass Communication students as it will help them to become proficient in broadcasting, scripting and presentation among others.
Relocation of RSUST to Greater Port Harcourt City
The Rivers State Government has concluded plans for the development of a new City called Greater Port Harcourt City to decongest the already over crowded Port Harcourt. Its development has already commenced and with the new City would be established a new campus where the present Rivers State University of Science and Technology would be relocated to. According to Government's mission statement on this, "The new University will be a leading Centre of academic excellence in Africa and beyond; a world class University with world-class facilities, which will be manned by a team of committed administrators, academics and researcher of high caliber, who share the founding vision of the new University to be ranked among the best 1,000 Universities in the world by 2020. It is hoped that by the time this objective is realized, there is no doubt that RSUST will be equal to none in Nigeria and indeed in Africa.