Department of Quantity Surveying
The department / programme in Quantity Surveying started with twenty (20) students in 1978 by awarding Higher National Diploma (HND) Certificate in Quantity Surveying at the time the University was College of Science and Technology. When in 1980, the college was up-graded into a University, the HND programme was, therefore phased out and replaced with the Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech.) degree in Quantity Surveying, with the first set of B. Tech. degree students graduating in 1984. Today, the department has an enrollment of two hundred and twenty (220) students.
Again, there have been remarkable changes in the structure of the courses taking cognisance of changes in practice, the future trends in the construction industry and more importantly to meet in the minimum requirement s of the programme by the National University Commission (NUC).
The graduate of Quantity Surveying from this University has many employment opportunities. He may secure employment in the public or private sectors of the economy:
1. Federal or State Ministry of Works and departments of works in Local Government Councils and their parastatals.
2. Banks/financial/insurance/capital market institutions, mining / petro chemical industries, oil and gas companies, building and engineering manufacturing industries, property development companies, embassies and small business organisations and private individuals.
3. Consultancy outfits
4. Contractor’s outfit
5. Teaching in any of the polytechnics and as a graduate /research assistant in any of the universities.
The graduate of Quantity Surveyor from this University is recognized by the Nigerian Institute of Quantity Surveyors and he is eligible to sit for the professional competence Examination after 2 years on-the-job experience under the supervision of a Registered Quantity Surveyor.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENT FOR ENTRY TO THE FIRST YEAR BACHELOR’S DEGREE.
1.Candidates should have obtained in NOT MORE THAN TWO SITTINGS at least Credit level in FIVE or more subjects at WASC Examination, the new SSC (Senior Secondary School Certificate or Equivalent passes in GCE ‘O’’ Level examination.
2. Equivalent qualification, obtained from recognised Institutions in Nigeria or elsewhere may be considered suitable by the Admission Committee. Candidates considered suitable for admission may be required to take the University admission examination.
3. Candidates who have a least ‘C’ level in GCE ‘A’ level in relevant subjects may be given equivalent credit units for those courses.
4. Candidates who have obtained passes in Degree level courses in other recognised institutions may be given credit units for similar courses if such courses were required for gradation by the department.
Holders of Higher National Diploma HND in Quantity Surveying of the Rivers State University of Science and Technology or its equivalent from other recognized institutions at home or abroad may be admitted into the 3rd year programme of study. Similarly, candidate who hold National Certificate in Education NCE (Technical) in Building Technology will be considered for direct entry admission provided candidates satisfy both the University and Faculty/Departmental requirements. Holders of OND/ND, UD certificates are eligible for admissions into 2nd Year of the degree programme, provided that they satisfy departmental requirements.
iii)UNIVERSITY MATRICULATION EXAMINATION SUBJECTS
A minimum of five subjects are required for the candidates who are deficient in core courses loading to the disciple. Candidates must have four credits in the relevant subjects in order to be considered for admission into University matriculation examination programme and provided candidates have previously sat for JAMB.
iv)UNIVERSITY MATRICULATION EXAMINATION SUBJECTS
A minimum of five subjects are required for University Matriculation Examination candidates wishing to study Quantity Surveying. Four must be the core courses namely English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry. The other remaining one could be either Economics, Technical Drawing, Geography, Building Construction, Surveying or Biology.
v)SPECIAL CONSIDERATION (WAIVER)
Candidates with a minimum of five years post HND Working Experience in Quantity Surveying discipline may not be required to do SIWE and this may be waived during the course of study only upon satisfactory evidence to this claim.
vi)DEPARTMENT /FACULTY REQUIREMENTS
1. Credit or better level passes in FIVE OR MORE subjects at WASC or SSSC (Senior Secondary School Certificate) or its equivalent in GCE ‘O’ Level examinations.
(a) Four out of these FIVE must be in: Mathematics, Physics, English Language and Chemistry.
(b) The remaining one should be from the following subjects: Economics, Geography, Biology, Technical Drawing, Fine Arts, Building Construction, Surveying any relevant technical courses as may be determined by the admissions committee.
2. Equivalent passes in other recognised examinations in Nigeria and elsewhere may be considered by the department, subject to approval of the Admissions Committee.
3. Candidates with upper credit pass in the University Diploma and OND/ND may be considered, if such courses were required for graduation by the department.
DURATION OF COURSE
The B.Tech. Quantity Surveying Degree Programme is for a duration of Five Years. Consisting of Nine Semesters of studies in the University and One Semester and Two Long Vacation Periods of Compulsory. Supervised Industrial Work Experience (SIWE) arranged by the University.
Academic Staffs of Quantity Surveying
Rank:Head of Dept